Author Topic: These ok? or oops?  (Read 3016 times)

andyj

• View Profile
These ok? or oops?
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
After seeing the updated youtube video - Just purchased these today..
Maxwell 350 Farad 2.5V Ultracapacitor
Lot of 8 new, unused Maxwell BCAP0350 E270 T11 BOOSTCAP 350 farad 2.7 volt ultracapacitors. These are the next generation of energy storage, and will eventually replace batteries in many applications. They are very similar to normal capacitors, except they have enormously more energy storage capacity.... Ebay - Paid 65+10 shipping so 75 total delivered.
BUT found they are PCB mount type - is this OK?
Spec sheet -- http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/docs/datasheet_bc_series_1017105.pdf
Reminder - look at the 350 not the 310 on the spec sheet.

Another couple of questions -
One - in the youtube video the caps are mounted on a white board - what is this, where might I get one?
Two - What is used to wire the caps together - with that much power, solider work ok or will it melt..

Excited to get these and setup my own test system -- Kool Kool Kool.
Thank you,
   Andyj

ravenxbishop

• View Profile
Re: These ok? or oops?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »
i think i saw someone make it work with 350's, you dont have as much capacitance that way, so it will die faster thats all.

andyj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »
FYI...
Well I (with my son's assistance) put together 6 of the 2.7v 350s in a inline PVC pipe with a couple of PVC caps and big bolts for the + and - terminals. Simple and quick to construct. Connect up with the hope that it would at least start my 2001 KIA...
Guess what - not enough power to turn over the engine, DARN!
What actually happens is the clicking sound from the starter as if low or dead battery.

Any suggestions - can I build another and put them in parallel - or am I just barking up the wrong tree.
Is my only real solution the purchase some 2600s and go that route?

What other function can I use my 350 set for? Ideas?

Thank you,
  Andyj

LaserSaber

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
Hi Andyj,

I sent you a private message.  For some reason the message is not showing up in my sent box.  Let me know if you got it.  I wanted to also post it here.

ian84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »
Laser , care to share the info here regard your reply to andy. Cheers

redneck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
Hi,

I too ordered the 350 caps that lightsaber posted in the mini boostpack thread.

CAP SUPER 350F 2.7V RADIAL $11.23
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=19&y=16&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=1182-1016-ND

Only to find out that they are radial tab pcb board mount, not like the ones in his video.  :-[

I am not sure what method and or configuration would be best to connect these in series needed for the
boostpack.

Any help would be appreciated.

>

MachZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm using them myself. It's not too bad hooking them together, however I haven't tested mine yet. Hoping to within the next few days. I have only one major concern, though very easy to fix, if you are not paying attention you can short these caps out when used in a vehicle. The silver bottom of the cap (without the pins) is also a positive terminal so if you set them on the metal of car it can short it out. Just cover them in some way and you'll be ok.

At the moment I'm using some solid copper Romex wire (12 ga. I believe) no longer than 1.5 to 2 inches and soldered right to the pins tying them all together. Holding the cap bodies together with Velcro.

Here's a picture of it before I had them all soldered together. The top right wire was some 10 ga. that I tried making solid but 1. my soldering skills are horrid and 2. the soldering iron I was using at the time was nowhere near hot enough. Much better looking now that I'm using the solid 12 ga. but I don't have a picture of it completed yet.
http://machzracing.com/Caps/Cap%20Series%201.jpg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:07:06 AM by MachZ »

redneck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
I'm using them myself. It's not too bad hooking them together, however I haven't tested mine yet. Hoping to within the next few days. I have only one major concern, though very easy to fix, if you are not paying attention you can short these caps out when used in a vehicle. The silver bottom of the cap (without the pins) is also a positive terminal so if you set them on the metal of car it can short it out. Just cover them in some way and you'll be ok.

At the moment I'm using some solid copper Romex wire (12 ga. I believe) no longer than 1.5 to 2 inches and soldered right to the pins tying them all together. Holding the cap bodies together with Velcro.

Here's a picture of it before I had them all soldered together. The top right wire was some 10 ga. that I tried making solid but 1. my soldering skills are horrid and 2. the soldering iron I was using at the time was nowhere near hot enough. Much better looking now that I'm using the solid 12 ga. but I don't have a picture of it completed yet.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be looking forward to your results.  :)
>

intj123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »

Nice website you got there, please tell me you are building this for the MR2 Spyder, love that car when modded well.

MachZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
Nice website you got there, please tell me you are building this for the MR2 Spyder, love that car when modded well.

I wish I was but unfortunately I haven't updated that site in years and have since sold the MR2... and have been kicking myself since. I absolutely loved that car. If I ever get one again I'd like to get one with a bad engine and swap a VW TDI into it (though I have a bit of a fear that the extra weight of that engine might really throw off the handling, I could be wrong though). ;D

If I didn't do the TDI I would build a turbo engine for it and swap in the Corolla 5-speed to let the torque of the turbo setup really make the car move with the lower ratio (numerically) gearing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:23:40 AM by MachZ »